Earth Day is a yearly event that highlights and celebrates the achievements of the environmental movement and reminds us that there is still much more to be done to protect Earth's natural resources for future generations.
The Fashion Industry
The fashion industry is responsible for between 8-10% of total greenhouse gas emissions. Here are some hard to hear facts about the fashion industry's contribution to the climate emergency:
- 60% of all clothing is made of synthetic fibres like polyester, which is an oil derivative that contains high levels of microplastics.
- Polyester contributes to 35% of all ocean microplastic pollution.
- 40 million people are living in modern slavery to this day - the fashion industry is the 2nd biggest contributor to this as child labour is incredibly common by fast fashion brands.
- Approximately 40 million tonnes of of textiles are sent to landfills every year - in the USA alone.
- Every year, approximately 150 million trees are cut down to make fabric.
Now is the time to support an industry shift away from the fast fashion model and towards sustainable and environmentally friendly sourcing, production, distribution, marketing and consumption. It is becoming ever-more crucial that brands transition towards sustainable trade and increasingly more important that the individual holds these brands accountable.
Nomads and Earth Day
With this in mind, we feel it is important to share with you the ways in which we have been committed to both ethical trade and the environment since 1989.
Only natural materials
We only use natural fibres in our products and the farming and harvesting of these does not contribute to habitat loss or destruction.
We are a GOTS certified company, which means that all of the steps in our processes adhere to the strict ecological and social criteria of GOTS. We are also a member of BAFTS (British Association of Fairtrade Shops and Suppliers), a network that focuses on UK suppliers who are dedicated to Fair Trade.
All of our packaging is plastic free and fully biodegradable. The individual garment packaging is made from non-gmo cornstarch, so are compostable. Online orders are sent out in a brown paper bag, made from FSC sustainable sources. Exterior packaging for trade customers is cardboard and will either be re-used or recycled.
Our electricity supply to both the head office and warehouse is 100% carbon zero.
What can you do?
We all need to act, innovate and implement: It's going to take all of us to minimise the effects of climate change! And while there is still time to solve the climate crisis, time to choose BOTH a prosperous and sustainable future, and time to restore nature and build a healthy planet for our children and their children, time is short.
Find out ways to take action here >